Suzlon : Short with a target of -30 (yeah right minus 30)!!

Hi,
I have been follow Suzlon for sometime now.Being a follower of technical analysis and chart patterns,I noticed this Symmetrical Triangle Pattern.If a stock breakouts or breakdown from the converging trend lines,it is believed that it will continue to move in the respective direction.A target is generally equal to the width of triangle.This method is popularly known as "the measuring move" with respect to chart patterns analysis

Check the chart given below of Suzlon, as it broke down and made a Symmetrical Triangle Pattern.The measuring move target will be approximately -30 (minus 30) as the width of triangle is 100 and it broke down from 70 level.If it had broken the trend-line on the upside, the the target would have seemed possible,specially as we are in this bull trend.

Now -30 is impossible so we will swiftly do away with this chart pattern.But if we see a similar chart pattern in an intraday chart,we will trade it,and might trade it profitably.That reinforces our belief in chart patterns.
I have got nothing against chart patterns.I just want to highlight the psychological aspect of how we process the information which we get by charts as per our convenience.We bend the rules to prove our point.Just as I have done here!! Uploaded an obvious failed chart pattern out of so many successful chart patterns.But I want you to think about it's effectiveness when logically the target sounds possible......so will it work with some other stock, some other time ?
Suzlon Technical Chart Quote trading Chart pattern study Symmetrical triangle faults failure useless problem never works psychology percent returns measuring move

Related Post
Trying hard to convince my friends with "ridiculous analysis"

13 comments:

  1. Dear Anuj
    On a lighter side - that means the buyer of Suzlon will get 30Rs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anuj,

    Can you please tell me what is the nearest support for this stock. I have one lot and would like to average it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ rm
    buy of suzlon will get 30?....plus thirty?
    chart pattern says minus thirty
    explain karo rm ji...couldn't understand the joke
    Holding my laughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are bhai,
    I am talking about after reaching the target, if price is 30 then you pay 30 to buy it, if it is -30 you get 30 to buy it. Elementary, my dear Watson!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous
    Well dont take this example too seriously...I just took this chart to explain chart patterns

    Now the trade
    As it is quite evident from the chart its going down...support will be @ 54 last major pivot of early November
    Now I have absolutely no idea about your risk appetite,how much volume you are trading,what levels you entered. 56.45 low made a few days back is another support (short term)

    Coming to main point
    NEVER AVERAGE YOUR LOSING TRADE
    Averaging your losing trade that too in Futures will blow up your account.
    Now you dont have to look for that info anywhere else
    just check the link below

    http://financeandtradingmadeeasy.blogspot.com/2010/01/21-january-day-i-always-remember.html

    So get out of that losing position ...place a stop first...and then decide a target if we get a bounce due to expiry or global reasons then its good.If your initial objective of trade doesnt stand right now, you need to exit...in a losing trade(holding a position beyond your "mental stops") market has already told you that all the reasons that you considered for the trade and planning was wrong...accept it and move out

    There are opportunities every day in the market...very soon you will get a new one...if your method and discipline is right ...you will see positive returns
    Good luck to you
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ r m
    he he...finally broke-out!!....laughing
    thanks for relieving the pressure
    Actually never imagined a stock trading in negative...so that part of mathematics is poor :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    Can you tell me where to get charts for individual stocks for min 5 years and a site which has the TA tools too!!
    Thanks
    Shazia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shazia
    you can register with ICharts...It's free..Then you can access....what they call as "JCharts (EOD)"
    make changes in chart settings and you will get the charts for the past 10 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shazia
    I am really thankful to you
    I never knew that we could get 10 years data
    thanks...very interesting long term charts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Anuj, I read your story too :( Feel sorry, I too had similar experience when I started with Options , when I did madly average(lost 40K) and then with FNO - Minifty (lost 40K) again. This was a year back.

    Now I think I am doing the same mistake again. I bought 1 lot May contract for 73 with a target of 80. Now I am struck. I didnt want to average (not to repeat my earlier mistakes) Currently I am selling it and buying back again every day so as to reduce my loss. Still I am around 22 K Loss.

    I have enought capital for another 10 points down. I have just rolled over the contact to June. If there is some signs of recovery, I would like to average and exist this counter or should I just book out my loss at some point and exit.

    Still Undecided which one to choose.

    Thanks again for your valuable time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous
    half of our problems get resolved if we dont repeat our mistakes
    Keeping a trading diary or records of our previous trade always helps, more than any tips or indicators
    There is tremendous information and knowledge in our previous trades..provided we keep track of them.
    wish you good luck in finding your exit and also finding your next profitable trade :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. :-) I need all the luck in this world. Will update once i exit

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    Thanks or suggesting. will go through it .. i like to see the macro picture.. gives me more confidence !!
    thanks to you
    Shazia

    ReplyDelete